Friday, March 9, 2012

{e is for...} Everyday Rituals

{a wee contribution to the Pagan Blog Project}



After rising and making myself a little more presentable, before coffee or seeing what is going on in the world, the first thing I do in the morning is make an offering of thanks to all of Those I work with and Who protect our household. It is a quick and simple ritual consisting of lighting a candle, saying a prayer and a small offering.

This is the first of many rituals throughout my day. Being someone with a relatively short attention span, I also like to keep them short and sweet {there are not too many ceremonial rituals happening at my hands!}.

I am sure that many would bulk at the idea of doing multiple devotionals and blessings every day. To them it probably seems to be the jurisdiction of members of some religious order that are tucked away from the world. This is not the case for me though.

In my view there is no difference between the "mundane" and the "sacred". They are both inseparable. For those who see spirit dwell in all things and in all places, and who can feel purpose in every aspect of life, this will probably make sense. They might also see the sense in saying a blessing over a garden or giving a prayer and offering of thanks for a meal.

One could fairly say that for me ritual is routine; however it is certainly not devoid of meaning. I find life is a lot more enjoyable when there is intent behind my actions, as opposed to just going through the motions.

Tending to my home and land is no longer drudgery, but a series of spiritual acts. Besides, hearth-keeper sounds much more pleasant than housewife. ;)

On the subject of rituals, you should go give this wonderful post The Meaning of Ritual a read.

Sláinte!

Laurel

post signature

6 comments:

Simone Elle Chavez said...

I love your outlook dear sister. I hope that you are doing well up there. Any signs of spring?

Hertha said...

I agree. Who says doing laundry can't be a spiritual experience.? ;)

nefaeria said...

Simone! Nice to see you round these parts! :D Spring is on its way here {yay!}. Are you blogging now?

Hertha: Agreed. ;)

Erska said...

Beautiful post (and blog). In theory, my own morning ritual is a bit of yoga and a tarot card draw (having no gods to honor), but it gets put on the back burner a little too often lately (in favor of stressing out and/or pointlessly browsing the internet... estimable excuses aren't they!).

Bessie Wills said...

"One could fairly say that for me ritual is routine; however it is certainly not devoid of meaning. I find life is a lot more enjoyable when there is intent behind my actions, as opposed to just going through the motions."

-for me, It's not actually a routine but a must. There's nothing wrong in doing a ritual, besides it's a religious stuff.

Regards,
Temeka M. Reagle
GMO

perma_culture said...

This is beautifuly =^)