Friday, January 15, 2010

A Perfect Candidate for the Scold's Bridle

I am sure that many of you have already heard Pat Robertson's little speech about the tragic earthquake in Haiti. If you have not, here it is:




Nothing like a huge tragedy to make one turn all opportunist. I am sure the last thing that the people of Haiti need is to be told that their ancestral Gods are devils or that they are not properly worshipping the God of their former colonizers.

Haiti might be cursed, but it more likely has to do with corrupt government and poverty {and other wonderful things like aggressive globalization and a history of slavery and colonialization} than the Gods.

What a wanker.

Sláinte!

Laurel

7 comments:

Metronyx said...

Wanker indeed, just hope his God forgives him for his appearant lack of compassion. I thought God loved all no matter what. Is not that the general message of his religion. My God is loving and knows that all roads lead to Rome.

perma_culture said...

I was so sad when I first heard this. What is wrong with this person?

Bek said...

Unbelievable...or not, sadly

Elizabeth S said...

I have family history in Haiti and you are right, are old gods are not devils and they did not cause this. This Pat Robertson guy shoul apologize.

nefaeria said...

Metronyx: Well your God is certainly sounds a lot more pleasant. :)

Permie: That's a good question. He has a long history of making asinine comments, and at the same time he seems quite intelligent. My guess is that he is a media whore.

Bek: Sad, truly.

Elizabeth: I agree with you 100 percent, and I am sorry for his hateful comments about your people. Now let's see if he is man enough to say the same.

Pyke said...

I can't understand why people still listen to this guy.

nefaeria said...

Indeed. There are plenty of wonderful Christian spokespeople out there who should be getting more air-time.