Sunday, July 27, 2008

Places I Have Loved: Apathy or Stupidity?

I am so lucky to live in a place where there is still beautiful and naturalized spaces that have not been desecrated by the hand of man in the name of 'progress'. I was so lucky in fact, that the view from my balcony was approximately three acres of what I call brush-woods, that had reclaimed the land that used to be a drive-in movie theatre decades ago.

I used to spend countless hours out there wildcrafting, taking photos, doing rituals, or just walking to clear my head. But, no longer.

In a place that was once teeming with wild ones and greenery, was sold off to be mowed over by machinery and man. I watched the guy who had the 'honours' of carrying out this massacre, and he certainly looked like he loves his work.

While in what looked like a mini-tank with jaws, he indiscriminately ran over and pulled out trees, without so much as a thought for all the birds nesting (as it is the height of the season), or any of the other wild ones that dwelt there.

In between breaks he would go talk to the one of the land owners, and I sat on the balcony listening to their conversations. Every time, he would have his chest puffed out, he would do his macho swagger on over to the land owner and point out 'all of the shit he got out of the way' (his words); the land owner was visibly pleased and thought it 'looked great' (her words).

So, what one might ask, is all of this 'shit' being taken out of the way for? Why, luxury condos and a car dealership of course! That sure makes a whole lot of sense with the current state of things.

A bad business move on the owners' parts, which will probably have them go broke. I suppose it's obvious that I won't cry for them.

I thought I'd share a few photos that I took there, to show what once was.

Laurel


































2 comments:

girlaction5 said...

The images you've captured are so lovely! Both of the pretty summer flowers and grass and fall/winter scenes. As a long term urbanite, i rarely get to experience the gorgeosity right in my back yard.

nefaeria said...

I am sure that you are seeing all types of luverly nature in Oz! And once you get back, know that the Bay has room for you *winks*

Laurel